Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sprinkler System

Doug and I finally decided it was time to install a sprinkler system in our yard. We have hose-watered the past 3 years and were ready for a change. We both knew it would be a lot of work, but we didn't realize how much work it would really take. 
 We dug our stop-and-waste hole by hand and that took us 8 hours. it was 4.5 feet deep and 4.5 feet wide. Basically we should be in the book/movie holes. What's a little depressing is that once we got down to our main water line we realized it needed to be replaced. When the guy came to replace it he had to dig a hole just like ours, but with his mini-excavator it only took him about 15 minutes. 
 We also tore up our back yard and next week we will be putting sod. We are so excited for this part to be done so we can really enjoy our backyard. 


 We had our trenches hired out and I am so glad we did because there are a ton of rocks where we live. Beckham hated the trenches because it was impossible for him to get over. 

 My nemesis was our driveway that we had to dig under to place pipe. Doug and I worked on digging under it for over two hours, then decided to just pay our trencher to dig under it. Well he did, but he didn't make the hole big enough, so the next day when we went to lay the pipe it wouldn't go. So I wasted another two hours working on. It was very frustrating. 

 My amazing brother-in-law Steve who was the master-mind behind it all. We are so thankful for everyone's help. We are so lucky to have our family in the area willing to help us. I can't imagine trying to do everything with just Doug and I. 


3 comments:

Tolman Family said...

I can't believe what hard workers you guys are! Your yard is going to be amazing!

Unknown said...

Wow! That looks like a nightmare! Thing I learned from this post: try and buy a house with sprinklers. Yikes!lol way to go!

Becca said...

this makes me never want to install sprinklers! you are such a hard worker!